Acetonitrile: A Comprehensive Guide to this Crucial Chemical Compound
Buy Acetonitrile online, also known as methyl cyanide, is a colorless and highly versatile liquid chemical compound that plays a pivotal role in various industries. This article serves as your ultimate guide to understanding acetonitrile, its multifaceted properties, diverse applications, and potential health considerations.
Exploring Acetonitrile’s Multifaceted Applications
Acetonitrile is a colorless, flammable, and volatile liquid with a mildly sweet odor. Its importance extends across a wide array of industries, including pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and manufacturing.
In the pharmaceutical sector, acetonitrile shines as a preferred solvent due to its exceptional solubility characteristics. It plays a crucial role in drug synthesis, formulation, and the purification of active pharmaceutical ingredients. Notably, it contributes to the production of essential drugs, including antibiotics, antimalarials, and anti-cancer medications.
The agriculture industry benefits from acetonitrile as a solvent in pesticide and herbicide formulations. Moreover, it aids in the analysis of soil and plant samples for detecting pesticides, herbicides, and contaminants, ensuring safer farming practices.
Acetonitrile’s significance in manufacturing is undeniable, as it contributes to the production of a wide range of chemicals, such as acrylic fibers, plastics, and synthetic rubber. It is also instrumental in manufacturing batteries, dyes, and various industrial chemicals.
Within laboratory settings, acetonitrile is a preferred solvent for a multitude of purposes, including chromatography, spectrophotometry, and electrochemistry. It plays a crucial role in the extraction and analysis of diverse compounds from biological samples.
Ensuring Safe Acetonitrile Handling
Despite its widespread use, acetonitrile presents potential hazards that demand careful management to prevent accidents and protect human health.
At Chem Global Export, we prioritize safety and aim to equip our clients with the knowledge needed for secure acetonitrile handling. Below, we delve into the key hazards associated with acetonitrile and provide best practices for safe management.
Understanding Acetonitrile Hazards
- Flammability: Acetonitrile is highly flammable and can ignite at remarkably low temperatures, as low as 4°C. To mitigate this risk, always store acetonitrile away from heat sources and ignition points, and exercise caution during handling to avoid sparks or flames.
- Toxicity: Acetonitrile is toxic and can harm the body through ingestion, inhalation, or skin contact. It may induce symptoms like headaches, dizziness, and nausea. Prolonged exposure can lead to more severe health issues, such as liver and kidney damage.
- Reactivity: Acetonitrile can react with specific chemicals, including acids and oxidizers, producing hazardous byproducts. Ensure a thorough understanding of acetonitrile’s compatibility with other substances and avoid mixing it with incompatible compounds.
Safe Handling Practices
To minimize the associated hazards, adhere to these safe handling practices:
- Proper Storage: Store acetonitrile in a cool, dry, and well-ventilated area, away from heat sources and ignition points, in tightly closed containers to prevent evaporation and spills.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Always wear appropriate PPE, including gloves, goggles, and protective clothing, when handling acetonitrile.
- Handling and Transfer: Utilize proper tools and techniques to minimize spills and reduce exposure. Employ a fume hood or ventilation system to prevent inhaling vapors.
- Emergency Preparedness: Establish an emergency plan for acetonitrile spills or accidents, including employee training and access to spill response equipment and procedures.
Discovering Safe and Efficient Alternatives to Acetonitrile
While acetonitrile is prevalent in the chemical industry, its high toxicity calls for safer and environmentally friendly alternatives. In this section, we explore some noteworthy substitutes that not only prioritize safety but also deliver efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
Dimethylformamide, also known as DMF, stands out as a common alternative to acetonitrile. This colorless, water-soluble liquid boasts a high boiling point and the capability to dissolve most organic compounds. DMF’s advantages include lower toxicity, reduced vapor pressure, and cost-effectiveness.
Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO)
Dimethyl Sulfoxide, or DMSO, presents another attractive alternative. This odorless, water-soluble liquid has low toxicity levels and excellent solubility properties. Similar to DMF, DMSO offers safety benefits and cost-effectiveness.
Tetrahydrofuran, also referred to as THF, is a clear, colorless, and highly flammable liquid that serves as an excellent substitute for acetonitrile. Its advantages include lower toxicity, a low boiling point, and ease of removal from reaction mixtures.
Purchasing Acetonitrile: Key Considerations
When acquiring acetonitrile, several factors demand attention to ensure you procure the right product for your specific needs.
Purity is paramount. Opt for acetonitrile with a high level of purity, as impurities can compromise the quality of your end product.
Select the appropriate grade of acetonitrile for your application, whether it’s HPLC grade, ACS grade, or technical grade, to ensure optimal performance.
Consider the packaging that suits your needs, whether it’s a drum for large volumes or a bottle for smaller quantities.
While price matters, quality should not be compromised. Compare prices from various suppliers to strike the right balance between cost and quality.
Several reputable suppliers offer acetonitrile for purchase. Here are some of the top options:
- Chem Global Export: A leading chemical supplier with a wide range of grades and packaging options, offering competitive prices.
- Fisher Scientific: Another reputable supplier known for competitive pricing and a range of grades and packaging options.
- VWR International: A global supplier of laboratory equipment, chemicals, and services, known for competitive prices and a variety of acetonitrile grades and packaging options.
Fast and Secure Acetonitrile Delivery
At Chem Global Export, we recognize the importance of reliable and high-quality acetonitrile delivery. Ensuring the purity of acetonitrile is essential for numerous applications. Here’s a guide to help you choose the right supplier and store acetonitrile correctly:
Choosing the Right Supplier
Selecting a reputable supplier is crucial for receiving a high-quality product. Consider the following factors:
- Reputation: Look for suppliers with a strong industry reputation, backed by positive reviews and references.
- Quality: Verify the supplier’s quality control processes, including purity testing and adherence to industry standards. Reliable suppliers provide a certificate of analysis (COA) detailing the acetonitrile’s purity.
- Price: Compare prices from multiple suppliers to ensure a fair deal, but prioritize quality over the lowest price
ACETONITRILE HPLC Gradient
Synonym: Methyl Cyanide; Cyanomethane; Ethanenitrile; Ethyl nitrile
Molecular weight: 41.05
Molecular formula: CH3CN
Liquid, d. 0.786
Solubility: Miscible in water
Boiling Point: 81.6C
Melting Point: -46C
CAS No. : 75-05-8
Pack size: 2.5 L per bottle
|Superior Grade||First Grade||Qualified Grade|
|Appearance||Transparent Liquid, No Visible Impurities||Qualified|
|Hydrocyanic Acid %≤||0.001||0.002||/||0.0002|
|Acetone % ≤||0.005||0.005||0.005||0.0007|
|Acrylonitrile % ≤||0.01||0.0||0.1||Not Detected|
|Heavy Ends (including Propylene ) % ≤||0.1||0.5||/||0.0010|
|Purity % ≥||99.5||99.0||98.0||99.98|
|Ammonia % ≤||0.0006||0.0006||/||Not Detected|
|Acidity % ≤||0.03||0.05||0.05||Not Detected|
|Density (at 20 C) G/cm3||0.781-0.784||0.782|
|Copper % ≤||0.00005||0.00005||/||0.000001|